Mike Kawula (small business coach) has started multiple successful small businesses and shares some of his entrepreneurial lessons in the first part of the interview.
Prefer Audio Version (.MP3)? – Right Click Here and Save.
Mike Kawula is the founder of Self Employed King where he provides specific strategies to help small business grow. Previous to this, Mike ran a successful cleaning franchise business that he grew to a million dollar annual revenue with 35 employees and sold in 2012. During this time, he also started an online (eCommerce) retail store selling office and cleaning supplies that was ranked by Inc. Magazine as the 144th fastest growing company in 2012 and became a multi-million dollar store. You can connect with Mike via his email: [email protected]
Things You Will Learn In This Interview
Mike Kawula is an entrepreneur and a connector. In this first part of the interview, Mike shares many great lessons from his experiences starting and running small businesses in the past. One of the big lessons he shared is that although he has been involved in different jobs and businesses, they were often things that he did not enjoy (i.e. was not passionate about). His advice is to find something that you are passionate about and it will make the process of starting and growing a business a much more enjoyable ride.
Then he tells me about the story of how he got into the franchising business and some of his lessons learned there. Some main takeaways are:
1. Do your research before buying a franchise, specifically talk to a lot of franchise owners (especially if you can those who ended up failing and try to understand the reasons why).
2. You should get into a business with the mindset of working on the business and not in the business.
I have got to know Mike for some time now and I know that he is a great connector and is able to form high quality win-win connections easily. This is an area that I am currently working on and so I had to ask him more about his strategies of how he does that. We talk about self-limiting beliefs and how most people are approachable if you take the right approach. Some of the main points are:
1. Be sincere and genuine
2. Start by finding a way to give and come from a place of service
3. Talk to the people who are already at the place where you would like to be in the future
In the second part of the interview (will be posted soon), Mike shares his experiences running a multi-million dollar eCommerce business. He goes into a lot of depth of his successes and especially many of the mistakes he made and the lessons learned.
People, Book Recommendations, and Resources of Interest Mentioned In This Interview
Tweetable Quotes from this Interview!
Click to Tweet>>>> You are the average of the 5 people you associate yourself with the most.
Click to Tweet>>>> Work on your business, not in your business.
Did you guys find this interview useful? Do you have any self limiting beliefs that you deal with in relation to your business or connecting with people? Please leave your comments, questions, suggestions in the comments box below.
Latest posts by Sushant @treptalks (see all)
- How to Write (Guest Post) for TrepNation Blog - June 1, 2015
- TrepNation Blog – Share your insights with fellow Treps - May 29, 2015
- Why is entrepreneurship important to you? - March 1, 2013
- Book Notes – Zero To One By Peter Thiel - January 2, 2013
- 5 Lessons I learned in Creating a Course in 5 days - January 2, 2013